Crush on CHBB

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Chatting with the Lovely Tiffany Carmouché




We have the lovely Tiffany Carmouché, author of The Alaska Trilogy on the blog with us today! But before we get to chatting, here are the Amazon links to both of her books. Check her out and if you read them, please leave reviews. You have no idea how important it is to review your favorite authors’ books!
 
Amazon:
Barnes & Noble:
 

 
Q & A with Tiffany Carmouché
 
Most of my favorite authors are indie or self-pubbed, what made me you decide to go that route?
 
For me it was control.  I was told that there was a formula for writing romance and I didn’t want to write a formula. The voices in my head kept pestering me and I wanted to tell the story. When I did a query with an editor they told me I had too many characters in my novel and I would have to get rid of some.  So I got beta readers feedback and it was just what I needed.  I figured I would have readers of my target audience tell me what they liked or didn’t like instead of an editor.  Most of them loved the characters and how they were woven together.
 
I had some awesome Beta Readers for both books!  I cannot begin to tell you how important Beta Readers are. As an author feedback is so important. (For The Impostor) I had Aleta Obrien, Rocky Guzman, Indie Wilson, Julianna Padget, Gale Deitch, Stephanie Newland, Holly Berardi, and Amy Barnhouse!  They were great! Then I hired a wonderful copy editor highly recommended by Jeanette Rallison, an amazing YA author who has been extremely successful in the traditional publishing.  I loved Sandra Udall. She didn’t try and change my voice.
 
For the second book I decided to ask two fans that had written me letters about how much they enjoyed The Impostor to become my Beta Readers- Nicki Wilson and Theresa Stuart. And I also had Liz Dimaggio and Holly Berardi beta read for me.  Again, I have to say my Beta readers were amazing! I hired Gale Deitch to do the editing for the second book.  I loved her as well because she to, allowed me to keep my voice. 
 
I remember going to a writer’s conference and a woman was complaining that the publishing company was making her revamp her image. She had to change her name again and become someone else. I guess one of the main reasons I went indie is I just wanted to be able to be me!
 
What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
 
How much I loved it and how amazing my fans are. I cannot tell you how much it means to me to get an email, or a note or a tag on facebook about how much someone liked my book. The tags about what team they are on make my day. And pictures or videos inspired by my books are always such a gift! It is like Christmas! And some of the letters from women who have begun their life over or are trying to get the courage to begin again always find a special place in my heart. I can’t believe that my scribbling is being read around the world. It is such a blessing to hear from fans.
 
Out of all the books you have written which is your favorite?
 
This is a really hard question and you will find in different interviews I will answer it differently. The Impostor is my baby. It is based on my experiences in Alaska and so there will always be a special place for it. 
 
Obsession and Sacrifice was so much fun to write. It is layered with different issues and I met with someone who works for NCIS over bubble tea, to get into the mind of the serial killer. Nicole wakes up from a coma and it was a lot of fun to have her re experience life again.  And then there is this new book I am working on, Out of the Shadows. Women who have been abused and have broken free, share their story. I have been honored to meet so many amazing women! It is so hard to choose a favorite… (Wide eyes opened, hoping you will forgive me.)
 
Which of your characters are you most like?
 
That is easy. Much of Nicole’s experience in the first book was based on my experiences when I escaped an abusive relationship and fled to Alaska to get away and begin again. I did fall in love with the breathtaking landscape and adventures. And I did have to escape a stalker.  She is sassy, naive, and stubborn much like me. 
 
Least like? 
 
Least like… I would say the serial killer J (or maybe not…I shrug, dragging the dead body into the woods)J
 
 
Do you have a particular writing habit?
 
I don’t. I write where ever I can find a corner and a scrap piece of paper. Much of The Impostor, A Love Story was written in my car in a tattered notebook while I waited in between classes. I love quiet so often write at night while the house isn’t stirring.
 
I love to be alone so I don’t feel guilty. I cannot say I have any habit because I have so many other responsibilities I have to dive in when I have a few moments. I really even used a napkin at a restaurant and eyeliner in my purse to capture a scene. 
 
 
If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?
 
My father. He wrote children’s books and so our styles are so different. He had that southern Mark Twain kinda feel. He quit his job working for the government to follow his bliss. I remember traveling around at his speaking engagements and book signings. He would always open his talks with two powerful words. “What if?”  Sometimes it gets you into trouble… I have 3 different endings for the trilogy because I will wake up in the middle of the night and my muse will haunt me with… What if…. My parents always made me feel like the world was mine to create, whether it was a story, a canvas, a photograph, a poem or a playground game.
 
Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?
 
Many! Many! Many! I always feel guilty answering this question because I leave so many talented people out!
 
Who designed the covers?
 
I have to say that Earthly Charms (for my cover) and Benjamin  Carrancho  (for the formatting) did an amazing job capturing the essence of the books and listening to my ideas. I love the paperbacks! They are works of art.
 
Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
 
For me, final edits are a nightmare. I have found no matter how amazing your editors are there is still something that they often miss. Little things are hell! Auto correct is my worst enemy!  Little typos hide in 360 pages! 
 
And the whole marketing aspect is a challenge. That can be a full time job in and of itself and I would rather be writing!  It cost so much money to promote books and most indie authors aren’t millionaires. We rely on word of mouth because we don’t have a big marketing firm behind us. Bloggers and Street Teams are so valuable to indie authors.  Thank you so much for what you do!  Really you have no idea how much you mean to me!
 
What are your current projects?
 
I am working on book three in the trilogy. I should have a title picked out by late spring.  Right now I call it Blood of an Angel, but I have other titles I am playing with as well. 
 
I am working on a project called Out of the Shadows.  It is a book where survivors of abuse tell their story. I would like to give hope to people trying to build the courage to break free from an abusive relationship. If any of your readers would like to be a part of this project please have them contact me.
 
I have a few spin offs of the Alaska Trilogy mapped out and a Paranormal Romance crying to be written. I have a book of poetry coming out and my story, Because of Love is in the works.  And last but not least I have a few non fictions in the making. I need more time to write. I wish I could get a cabin in the woods and disappear for awhile. 
 
Do you have any advice for other writers?
 
Trudy get out your pom poms…!  J Give me a “W”!   Give me an “R”!   Give me an “I” !   And a “T.E”!
WRITE! Plan and simple! Just do it! Find a stolen moment in the day. Pull out a napkin and an eyeliner if you have to, and scribble down the bleedings of your soul! The canvas is yours… CREATE! (And do it for you!)
 
 
You are wildly popular with the Indie crowd, what is one thing you would like to tell your fans?
 
One thing I would like to say right now is…We are in this together! I couldn’t have done it without you. Every time you share, tweet, pin, recommend my books to one of your friends, or you write me and let me know what you liked about my books…it means more then you will ever know! You are amazing!
 
Describe yourself in three words.
 
Sassy, Adventurous, Compassionate
 
I know characters are like children but if you could chose, who’s your favorite?
 
Jessica. J She was based on the daughter I escaped to Alaska with, so she has a special place in my heart. J  Although, I joke that when I meet Bradley or Dylan… I will consider getting married again!
 
Can you share a little of your current work with us?
 
I looked in book three in the trilogy, but there are so many twists that if I give away a part of the book it would ruin the experience in reading… Here is an excerpt from Obsession:
 
From Obsession and Sacrifice by Tiffany Carmouché~ 

The light danced off the snow and it sparkled almost like diamonds. I stood for a moment almost fascinated. And then it kissed me, my first snowflake, and then another. The tiny cold droplets caressed my face, one at a time decorating my eyelashes. I giggled.

        I closed my eyes and tilted my head back, leaning on the two of them, and I opened my mouth, letting the tiny cotton flakes melt onto my tongue. I opened my eyes and watched the white flakes descend on me. Learning back, I squinted. The porch light illuminated Bradley and Dylan’s silhouettes as if they were angels--almost as if I were experiencing heaven. God sent them to me. These beautiful angels, who knew me by name and appeared in my life to protect me and make everything wonderful. Maybe I had died. Maybe this was heaven.  I stared up at their images looking down at me.

“My angels.” I sighed.

“Snow angels? You want to make snow angels?” Dylan swept me off my feet and dropped me gently into the snow.

I quickly sat up. “Hey what was that for?”

“Snow angels, I thought you wanted to make a snow angel.”  
 
I want to thank you for hanging out today! Don't forget to checkout Tiffany's links below.
 
Thank you so much for having me! I really was serious, I could not do any of this without the amazing support of bloggers and readers. You are helping me realize my dream. I will forever be grateful! Live laugh ad love and escape in the pages of books!
 

 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 




 
 
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. I loved the way this turned out...it was interesting and fun to read! I even was mentioned! Woot! Thanks Tiffany for being on our blog....best wishes to you and your writing career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good interview, an enjoyable read!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved it!! Currently looking her up now.

    ReplyDelete